1 post tagged kimberly loc
Photo By Denene Brox Photography
Kimberlyloc.com has the perfect recipe for a blog: one part natural beauty reviews, a pinch of outfit inspiration and wardrobe snaps, mixed with recipe ideas and the occasional cupcake! As a similarly minded clean beauty aficionado, I couldn’t wait to read Kimberly’s skincare and makeup picks. Read on to discover this stylish media superstar’s clean regime…
Also head over to Kimberly’s blog to check out my guest post on my favourite clean beauty picks!
I’ve got my shower routine down pat, but as a beauty blogger, it’s normal for me to rotate products on a regular basis. Here’s what I’ve been using and loving for the past few weeks or longer.
And, for full disclosure, I did receive most of these products as press samples. Those that are starred are ones I purchased myself.
- Shampoo - Seaweed Bath Co. Natural Seaweed Argan Shampoo in Citrus: This shampoo doesn’t lather like a typical, conventional shampoo, but it has enough suds to give you that placebo effect of “clean” without overdrying.
- Conditioner - Seaweed Bath Co. Natural Seaweed Argan Conditioner in Citrus: Because I’m still testing Seaweed Bath Co. products, I’m using the companion conditioner to complement the shampoo. I condition just the ends of my mane (I’ve got a naturally oily scalp). I let the conditioner sit in my hair for a couple of minutes while I wash my face, and then I make sure to rake a wide-toothed comb throughout my hair to distribute the conditioner throughout, but without concentrating it on my scalp.
- Face Cleanser - *Primavera Moisturizing Cream Cleanser: I choose cleansing creams in the morning just to add a bit more moisture since my face is essentially clean anyway (if I was good and washed the night before!). I really love the milky texture and fresh smell of this particular cream cleanser.
- Body Wash - Kiss My Face Peace Soap: I prefer “energizing” body washes in the morning, like ones made with peppermint, tea tree or a citrus fruit, to help awaken my senses. This 100 percent castile soap is really slippery on the skin and a little goes a long way. I use a loofah to help it lather (natural lather thanks to coconut oil!) and give my body a good scrub and rinse. I also make sure to get the conditioner residue off my back to avoid bacne.
- Body Oil - Zoe Organics Love My Body Oil: I’m the biggest body oil fan out there. I stockpile the stuff, and I always get so many compliments on how soft my skin is from my boyfriend and my best friends. Oil is the secret sauce! This is definitely a calming ritual straight out of the shower.
- Toner - Cecilia Wong Skincare Rejuvenating Toner Mist: Toner seems like it’s one of those unnecessary products, but with the right toner with the right ingredients, you will notice a difference. I like Cecilia Wong’s toner because of its amazing smell and top-notch natural ingredients, like chamomile, lemon, lavender and rosemary. The spray bottle shoots out the perfect, most-fine mist that lightly covers your entire face in just a couple sprays.
- Sunscreen - Sunday Riley Cashmere SPF 30: I committed to wearing sunscreen every day a few years ago, and it’s just become a ritual for me to massage in my daily protection pre-makeup. I go back and forth between Badger Balm’s Damascus Rose SPF 16 Face Sunscreen Lotion and Sunday Riley Cashmere SPF 30, but Sunday Riley usually wins because it has a higher SPF. Both products smell lovely, though, and do well under makeup.
- Lip Balm - *John Masters Organics Lip Calm & Dr. Hauschka Lip Balm: I’m kind of ridiculous when it comes to lip balm. I tend to just grab whatever’s on top of my lip balm bowl, but I do gravitate toward John Masters Organics when my pout just needs a boost. If I’m extra dry that morning, I choose something a bit thicker, like Dr. Hauschka, for a more healing effect.
- Eye Makeup Remover - *Trader Joe’s 100% Pure Jojoba Oil: I don’t spend money on traditionally marketed eye makeup remover. As I mentioned earlier, oil is the secret sauce for pretty much any need you may have. I use jojoba oil to remove my eye makeup as well as the makeup from the day.
- Face Wash - Jurlique Purely White Skin Brightening Cleanser: I like the smell and extras that this cleanser packs: the promise of a more-even skin tone and a gentle exfoliation. I use this one at night so that the antioxidants can help my skin overnight.
- Face Serum - La Bella Figura Barbary Fig Seed Renewal Serum: I can’t stop singing the praises of plant oils, but barbary fig seed oil really takes the cake. It puts argan oil to shame (sorry, shampoo and conditioner!) with its massive amounts of healing vitamin E and omega 6. The smell of this serum is sweet yet understated, and I love that it doesn’t feel too heavy on the skin. I let this soak in for about 10 minutes before I hit the sack so I don’t waste any of this precious oil on my pillow!
- Eye Serum - La Bella Figura Decouverte Under Eye Repair Serum: I stay up way too late reading, writing and wasting time on the Internet. To keep my eyes from giving me away in the morning, I use Decouverte on those especially late nights to combat dark circles. It’s packed with vitamin K, which has been shown to help reduce dark circles, and a little of this roller-ball product goes a long way!
- Blemish Treatment - *Desert Essence 100% Australian Tea Tree Oil & *Trader Joe’s 100% Pure Jojoba Oil: Now that I’m in my later-20s, I don’t have to worry about acne as much, but I do still get breakouts here and there that motivate me to keep jojoba oil and tea tree oil on hand. I spot-treat pimples with a dab of tea tree oil mixed with jojoba (you’ve got to be careful about using straight essential oils if you have sensitive skin!) to help calm blemishes.
- Concealer - Jing Ai Masquerade Concealer in Indian Princess: This concealer has great coverage and a thick consistency — perfect for covering up blemishes and under eye circles (not that I have those because I use Decouverte! :)). The packaging is really cute and the concealer contains organic champagne grape oil…makes me feel luxurious.
- Powder/Foundation - *Aveda Inner Light Mineral Dual Foundation in Honey: I like this because it’s a pressed mineral foundation (I don’t do well with loose powders) and you can really control the coverage you want — light, medium, heavy — based on what kind of brush or applicator you use.
- Blush - Mia Mariu Mineral Blush: I like that this blush has vitamins A, C and E in it, and it’s a good replacement for the NARS blush I used to swear by.
- Mascara - *Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes!: I haven’t found the perfect natural mascara, but this one is pretty good for lengthening. I’m still on the hunt for the perfect fit, so please shoot me some ideas! And I would be a cheat if I didn’t mention that I do use a conventional mascara in between my natural mascara product hits and misses.
- Lips - ILIA Lipstick, Mia Mariu Hydrating Stick Gloss, Clark’s Botanicals Lip Treatment, Hurraw! Black Cherry Lip Balm, *Tarte LipSurgence Natural Lip Luster: I pretty much always have between 5-10 lip products in my bag at all times. I’m obsessed with ILIA lipsticks as well as Mia Mariu’s Hydrating Stick Glosses. I also love Clark’s Botanicals’ glosses as well as Hurraw! Tinted Lip Balm, and I just picked up Tarte’s version of the chubby stick lipstick trend.
- Eyelash Curler - *Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler: I have stick-straight, Asian eyelashes, so if I had to choose between mascara and an eyelash curler, an eyelash curler would win! I use Shu Uemura’s eyelash curler.
- SpaRitual ‘Ebb & Flow’
- OPI ‘A Roll in the Hague’
- Butter London ‘Yummy Mummy’
- *Zoya ‘Kimmy’
- China Glaze ‘Gaga for Green’
- Essie ‘Bikini So Teeny’
I love everything that Zoya, Butter London, SpaRitual, Essie and OPI release. I definitely treat nail polish as an accessory!
Some of these brands are more natural than others, but I do appreciate that they are all at least three-free.
For spring/summer, I’m loving these colors: SpaRitual ‘Ebb & Flow,’, OPI ‘A Roll in the Hague’, Butter London ‘Yummy Mummy’, Zoya ‘Kimmy’, China Glaze ‘Gaga for Green’, and Essie ‘Bikini So Teeny’.
Once a week I like to treat myself to a spa day at home. I use different masks every week depending on my needs, but I definitely have repeat visits with this one.
My aesthetician also loaded me up with several samples of Eminence’s Clear Skin Probiotic Masque, so I save those for when my skin is feeling rebellious.